Saturday, November 15, 2008

I Hate This Part...

Bismillah, Assalamualaikum :D

I'm at home for the long hols just like the school kids for the last time of my undergraduate life.

I am currently listening to PCD's I Hate This Part and the lyric has inspired me to write my own I Hate This Part :D

I hate this part that I have 5 more months to go because I can't hardly wait for it to end, but then again, I know that when I start working, I'll miss my student life, it's always like that, human nature...

I hate this part that the media ONLY interviews the urban kids on their UPSR achievement. what about the rural kids? and what about their opinions on English for science and mathematics?! I have my own personal dilemma about the issue because I can see the many benefits of using English but since I have taught a rural school before therefore I have seen these kids struggle in understanding English and what's more English in science and mathematics! YES, there is still the gap between the urban and rural schools and it exists for some people to take action but before action is to be taken hence there should be enlightenment and exposure but where is it? where is the faces of kids who went through hardships and succeed? and where is the faces of those who did not and why aren't we addressing the reason of why they didn't succeed? there are kids who are downright lazy but there are also kids who are slow and need just that little bit of scaffolding and would prove us wrong if we prove them right!

which reminds me of a movie I watched earlier on entitled FREEDOM WRITERS starring Hilary Swank. I totally recommend this movie to everyone out there because it's inspiring and moving plus based on a true story so I felt driven more to be a teacher after watching that movie. It's about a teacher who had to go against so many people including her own loving husband to prove that the class she was teaching was 'teachable' and can succeed in their own right. The technique was she made her students write jurnals and as a result, she was able to see what her students saw and the movie points out that the pen is mightier than the sword.



the movie strongly reminds me of Big Pumpkin but somehow I know that jurnal writing in English will be difficult for my students unless they really wanna do it in the second language. But when I become a teacher later on, I would definitely make my students write jurnals and they can even do so in Bahasa because I just want them to write and through writing, maybe I get to do so much more than just teaching [BIG ALTRUISTIC DREAMS, yeah I know]

I hate this part that I always feel that urban kids or if not urban, the advanced students would be so much easier to teach and they would definitely do the jurnal writing, sigh~
Though I know that it's better to reach out to the below average kids...



I hate this part that when my students sms me, I can't seem to reply their messages because sometimes I am busy, sometimes all they ask is 'Teacher buat ape?' or sometimes, hmm...takpela tak balas pun, tsk tsk...coming from me who has big altruistic dreams, huhu

I hate this part that I have project paper to finish to wrap up my degree.

I hate this part that there's nothing good on telly.

I hate this part that I'm actually telling people to tag me, haha coz I'm bored and besides, I like tags now, hehe :p

The world slows down but my heart beats fast right now
I know this is the part where the end starts...

I hate this part right here
I just can't take your tears
I hate this part right here


10 comments:

Madame Iman said...

big heart! :D

Anonymous said...

hey maddy
when i did my thesis, i did something on writing journal in enhancing their literary text comprehension.i thought u'd be interested in reading on something called 'reader-response journal', which is a way to make students write journal.you have to design the journal youself,and lets just say that one student who never passed english test actually got a D for the first time. interesting huh? anyways, good luck in your thesis.

mind if i link you to my blog?

wanderfulmadnificent said...

Zsa Zsa:
big dreams! ;)

Azureus:
u know what, i actually wanted to do the same thing, period! but because of time constraints, i chose to do something i can assess quick but something i still love to do so i am doing on readers theatre but thanks for the tips, really appreciate it! maybe i can check your thesis out when i'm teaching for the tricks of the trade of jurnal writing :D

of course u can link my blog to yours, likewise with me ;)

thanks for dropping by :)

Anonymous said...

kak wan!!

kite nak tgk cite tu!! tp tgh nk xm! wuwuwuuuu.. doakan kite yeh? jzkk :)

btw, eid milad to maisarah! hehe
[xtau nape tuls kat sini?] :p

Anonymous said...

oh well, its actually dr shima's idea.since i was under her supervision for the thesis, i thought i'd just give it a go.but literature has always been an interesting and mysterious part of english learning for me, so i had a lot of fun doing it.reader's theatre is a part of student's own exploration right? so i guess, one way or another, we're working towards students understanding and interest in english literature.

again, good luck!

foru said...

I still find it odd why the rural kids are still behind the urban kids in English department. I just couldn't fathom why there's such a palpable gap in English proficiency between the rural and urban kids. I thought the margin has been reduced now that Science and Maths are taught in English, thus giving them early exposure to the language. Plus I thought the syllabus are all the same for all schools. So why are they lacking so much?

I think one way of mitigating this is to identify the problems (in this case, probably the difference between what the urban kids have that the rural kids don't have) and rectify the problems. That's my suggestion. I'm no teacher so take this with a grain of salt ;)

By the way, you're gonna be one hella great teacher! ;D

Anonymous said...

wan, nak pinjam citer tu.. lepas kt pulangkan Kite Runner k.. ;)

wanderfulmadnificent said...

iman:
GOOD LUCK EXAM! hope its not too l8 :D

Azureus:
thanks and i would really welcome any tips from u ;)

and u got dr shimah? huhu, how was she? (curious)

zatul:
thanks for the compliment and for echoing what i have always been thinking, it really is a wonder huh and i wish there is something that someone can do but the thing is, maybe there are something that someone is actually doing but the results are imperceptible and that maybe some pilot projects are currently done but so little has changed or so little schools are being experimented and that there are so many rural schools that need to be adressed and so few people to do it so where are those people? sigh~

its a loooong process...

zmk:
tatau dvd ada katne, hehe, but i'll check it out ;)

kamilah ahmad @ ahmaddiah said...

Yup2, TOTALLY RECOMMEND FREEDOM WRITERS!!! really inspiring :) neway babe, i truly agree dat the media shud focus more on rural students..if they cud actually score straight A's in the exam, that just shows that they cud do even BETTER from the urban students, despite the lack of facilities n teachers..

Anonymous said...

Assalamu'alaikum warahmatullah

Madihah,

I think I can understand your dilemma. But, learning Math and Sciences in English will not guarantee one to master his/her English.

There's a big gap between rural kids and urban kids, it is their upbringing, their parent's background. Not many are lucky to have parents as educated and genius as yours. I am one of the rural kids, my english is good since I was in primary school not because I learnt Math and Sciences in English, but because I watch lots of TV and I read a lot, during my time, it's Enid Blyton's series, Alfred Hitchcock, Sherlock Holmes, Hardy boys and Nancy Drew.

I read translated Shakespeare in old collection of Utusan Pelajar (my father (arwah) colleted 'em.)

I believe you'll be an excellent teacher, and how I hope that my nieces and nephews will get you to be their teacher.

I recommend you to read this website www.universitipts.com to get a clear view regarding the issue. And maybe you can kill some time by attending the writing courses that they organised. They are looking for those who like to write the chicklit novel in BM.

By the way, I'm your father's cousin from Pulau Rusa, the one who share your taste in books.